This message was given at an AWANA Grand Prix at DeForest Evangelical Free Church
I want to talk about a couple of things:
What do you need to have to race? fuel, engine, tires, oil,…Tons of other things, big and small. Just one little part can put you in the pits for the race and ruin the season
But the first thing you need to do is pay the entry fee and the pit pass.
- In the Christian life we want to have everything that God has given us to be in good working order. We need to be reading, studying, praying, hanging out with other believers… If we let one piece slide we hurt our life in and with the Lord.
- Lets go back to the track. Each night racers and crews and fans have to pay to get in to the track in order to have a chance at the Winner’s Circle. Some people think that it is the same way to get to heaven. “We pay to get in.” There is no chapter and verse on that one. As a matter a fact Eph 2:8,9 makes it clear, along with Titus 3, that heaven is opened to us only through Jesus (John 14:6; Romans 10:9,10). It is more like someone else paying to get us in and them building the perfect car and winning and then letting us in to the Winner’s Circle
- Have you ever seen a show car? They look from the outside like the real thing. They do a great job preparing them. But most do not have real engines or they just have a street engine in them. The only thing they are really good for is to take a picture of or with.
It reminds me of two things.
- First, that too often we want to be in the picture and not take the risks or do the work. We just want to be close to the famous (What does Rom 12 say.) Don’t try to get into the good graces of important people…
- Second, it is not good to just look like a real car and be empty inside. Do you know some that go to church. or are good, or say they are a Christian and then act like all the other people around them? We do not want to be like that. We want the real deal inside and we want to be the real deal. Living for Jesus. You could even be coming to AWANA and not be ready for Heaven’s door to open for you.
So think about these three verses:
You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. James 2:22 Don’t just listen to the Word, do what it says
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phil 4:8